Notes on the Micklethwait family that settled in the East Riding of Yorkshire about 1600.

 

Geographical & historical information.

 

The family owned property in the East Riding in the parish of Swine in Holderness & in the nearby parish of Leven. They also owned property in Co. Durham, Leicestershire; Cambridgeshire & in London.

 

East Riding.

 

The Village of Swine.

 

Swine village formerly stood on a long street leading south-eastwards to Coniston. On the south side of the street the buildings, which included the church; the Manor House & the Priory extended for only about km but on the north side houses were spaced all the way to the Coniston boundary.

 

The Swine Manor House.

 

In the mid 15th century the Manor House of the Meltons included a hall, outer hall; great chamber; and ‘knight chamber’. It seems to have stood on the east side of the church. The amalgamation by the Micklethwaits of the chief manor of Swine and the former priory’s estate in 1653, makes later identification of the Manor House uncertain. ‘The Mansion House of Swine’ whose contents were sold by John Micklethwait in 1660 was perhaps the Manor House & it may have been the same house, the largest in Swine, which had 13 hearths in 1672. By the mid 19th century Swine Hall, standing near the church, was regarded as the ‘Old Manor House’; it was probably demolished in or soon before 1868, when a vicarage house was built on the site.

 

New Developments.

 

In 1639 Anne Saville, sister & heir of Lord Darcy, Decd. sold Swine Manor to Joseph Micklethwait. In 1653, Joseph & his son John also acquired the former Priory’s manor of Swine & in 1681 John’s son Joseph bought the rectorial estate & dues there & at Ganstead. By 1735 the Micklethwaits had put up outlying buildings named Kelwell, Hill, Carr House; Woodhouse; Great Stanks; Bridge House Farms; Sleightings Farm & possibly others.

 

Descent & further enlargement of the Swine estate.

 

1639. Joseph Micklethwait (1597-1658) (ID 42) bought the estate from Anne Saville, sister & heir of Lord Darcy, decd.

1658. Joseph’s son John Micklethwait (1628-1660) (ID 67) inherited.

1660. John’s son Joseph Micklethwait (1656 - ????) (ID 90) inherited.

1681. Joseph purchased the rectorial estates in Swine & neighbouring Ganstead.

????. Joseph’s elder son Thomas Micklethwait (1678-1718) (ID 112) inherited.

1718. Joseph’s second son Joseph Viscount Micklethwait (1680-1734) (ID 113) inherited.

1720. Lord Micklethwait further enlarged the estate by purchase.

1733. Lord Micklethwait left nearly 2,200 acres in Swine to Ann Ewer, spinster (ID EW 55). In Ann’s will, (1687-1739) she elected to be buried next to Lord Micklethwait!

1734. Lord Micklethwait’s elder sister Barbara Perkins, widow (ID 114) unsuccessfully challenged the validity of the will. This branch of the Micklethwait family became extinct after the death of Barbara Perkins.

1734. A Bargain & Sale involving Barbara Perkins (ID 114) & Ann Ewer (ID EW 55) was signed which details the following land; property & other sources of income:-

The Manor or Lordship of Swine

            Manor House of Swine

            Hall Farm                               212 Acres

            Abby Farm                             154 Acres

            Hill Farm                                 206 Acres

            Wood Side Farm                  112 Acres

            West Car Farm                     180 Acres

            Stants Farm                           151 Acres

            Fosbridge Farm                    161 Acres

            Kelwell Farm                          125 Acres

            Sleightings Farm                   225 Acres

            Rashill Farm                          100 Acres

            Robinsons Farm                   150 Acres

            Whitehouse Farm                 168 Acres

            Inns Farm                                 18 Acres

            Johnsons Farm                       29 Acres

            Great Marr                               48 Acres (Lord’s Marr/Fish House Garths)

            Thirty Acre Carr                       90 Acres

            Swine Wood                            14 Acres

            Total                                  2143 Acres

 

            Various small tenements; cottages & garths. Thirty two cottages or

toft steads & garths or places where cottages usually stood in Swine. (Many demolished c1644)

Free rent of four shillings per annum issuing out of certain lands in Swine.

            Tithes of six three stands of meadow in Myton Ings.

            All other tythes & portion of tythes in Ganstead.

Half oxgang of frees – parish of Leven.

           All income arising from the Manor of Leven (Leuene)

           All other Manors; messuages; tenements; farms etc. in the County of

Yorkshire in which Viscount Micklethwait had an interest at the time of his death.

 

1739. Ann Ewer’s nephew Anthony Ewer (????-1756) (ID EW 60) inherited.

 

1756. Anthony Ewer’s younger brother William Ewer (????-1789) (ID EW 64)

inherited.

Descent of the Leven (Leuene) Estate.

 

The manor of Leuene (in Yorkshire) was given by Edward the Confessor to the church of St. John of Beverley, and in Doomsday Book it is enumerated amongst the vast possessions of that church. When the collegiate body was abolished, in the first year of Edward VI. (1547), the manor reverted to the Crown. Ten years later Sir Marmaduke Constable appears as owner, and it subsequently passed through various hands to the Micklethwaits. The last Lord Micklethwait bequeathed his estates to the Ewer family, from whom they passed to the Duke of Portland, who, in 1742, sold the manor, demesne, and other lands, to Mr. Bethell, an ancestor of the present owner.

 

I have not established how this estate passed from the Ewer family to the Duke of Portland. Having in mindthe date of 1742, it would appear that Anthony Ewer (ID EW 60) sold it to the Duke of Portland.

 

Co.Durham.

 

The estates.

 

The Co. Durham estates which were owned by Sir John Cropley until his death in 1713 included the Manors of Coatham Conyers; Grindon; Little Chilton; East Brandon & Burnigill.

 

The Cropley name.

 

It was the wish of Sir John that the Micklethwaits take on the Cropley name but they did not do so. The Cropleys of Clerkenwell then became extinct.

 

Whilst the Ashley Cooper family, who eventually inherited, did not take on the surname Cropley, the 6th Earl of Shaftesbury was christened Cropley Ashley Cooper & it was he who inherited.

 

Descent of the Co. Durham estates.

 

1713. Sir John Cropley died & Thomas Micklethwait (1678-1718) (ID 112) inherited the Durham estates (& other property in Leicestershire; Cambridgeshire & London).

 

Sir John also mentioned in his will his godson Anthony Ashley Cooper, 3rd Earl of Shaftesbury (1671-1713) (ID AC 14 & EW 56). Anthony was married to Ann Ewer’s sister - Jane Ewer (ID EW 57 & AC 15). Ann Ewer (1687-1739) (ID EW 55) witnessed Sir John’s will.

 

1718. Thomas Micklethwait died & the estates of East Brandon & Burnigill passed to the current Earl of Shaftesbury under the terms of Sir John Cropley's 1713 will.

 

1740. The Manors of Coatham Conyers; Grindon & Little Chilton were by now in the possession of Hon Richard Lumley, Earl of Scarborough. We do not yet know how this came about.

 

Leicestershire; Cambridgeshire & London.

 

1713. When Sir John Cropley died in 1713, Thomas Micklethwait (ID 112) (1678-1718) inherited property in Leicestershire; Cambridgeshire & London.

 

The Leicestershire property was at Gaddesby.

 

The Cambridgeshire property was at Dullingham in Burwell; Exning; Newmarket; Soham & Whittlesea.

 

The London property was at Wallbrooke, parish of St Mary, Woolchurch Lange, Nr Stocks Market, City of London; Breadstreet, City of London; White Fryers & Holborn Bridge

 

The Cambridgshire property at Burwell is referred to at www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18904

 

Nothing is known at present about the other properties.

 

SUMMARY - Families involved.

 

The reader will note that a number of different families have been involved in this story.

The Darcys; the Micklethwaits; the Cropleys; The Ewers; The Woods & the Ashley Coopers.

The relevant branches of the Darcys; the Cropleys; the Micklethwaits & The Ewers each became extinct. To summarise:-

 

1639.  The Darcy family sold the Yorkshire East Riding Swine estate to the Micklethwait family.

 

1713. Sir John Cropley of Clerkenwell & of Red Lyon Square, St Andrews, Holborn, London left his extensive estates to Thomas Micklethwait (ID 112) of Swine Yorkshire & of Devonshire Street in the parish of St Andrews, Holborn, London. Sir John mentioned in his will, his godson Anthony Ashley Cooper.

 

Sir John’s will was witnessed by Ann Ewer (ID EW 55) also of Red Lyon Square, St Andrews, Holborn, London.

 

Ann’s sister Jane married a member of the Ashley Cooper family.

 

The Micklethwait family seem to have had a connection with St Andrews, Holborn since the 17th century – please see page entitled ‘St Andrews, Holborn, London.

 

1718. Thomas Micklethwait (ID 112) died & left his remaining estates to his younger brother Joseph Viscount Micklethwait (ID 113). He also left some possessions to Ann Ewer (ID EW 55)

 

1734. Lord Micklethwait (ID 113) left the majority of his land & property; probably property in Leicestershire; Cambridgeshire; London & the families original estates in the East Riding of Yorkshire to Ann Ewer.

 

1789. Ewer family bequeathed what remained of these estates to the Hon Cropley Ashley (ID AC 22) later 6th Earl of Shaftesbury.

 

Issued by John Micklethwait.                              April 2005.

 

NB.  Copies of relevant family pedigrees; wills & legal agreements have been obtained & are held on file by the issuer.